Thursday, April 29, 2010

Food For Thought

When I started this blog, I thought it would be neat to post some of my favorite recipes every once and awhile. On our schedule and budget, it's often very difficult to keep things interesting (and healthy) in the kitchen. Here are a few of my super easy stand-by meal ideas. Warning: I use lots of "pre-mades"!

Salmon and Veggies

The frozen "Mediterranean" encrusted salmon from Hy-Vee is wonderful. I served it tonight with a potato & snap pea mix and garlic toast. (side note: Reid is still hungry and wants ice cream...)

Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad

I buy the Betty Crocker "Suddenly Caesar Salad." All you do is boil the noodles and add the seasoning mixed with vegetable oil. I add cut up chicken and tomatoes.

French Dip & Chips

Oscar Mayer makes "French Dip" flavored roast beef (amazing!). I buy a loaf of French bread, slice it in half, then layer roast beef and provolone cheese. I wrap the loaf in tin foil and toss it in the oven when the french fries are about 10 minutes from being done. For the fries: cut up 3 medium potatoes into wedges, toss with vegetable oil and Concord Foods bacon & chive seasoning mix, spread evenly on foil lined baking sheet, back at 400 for about 30 minutes. As far as the "dip" goes, they sell a concentrated au-jus sauce at the grocery store.

Cheesy Chicken and Salsa

This recipe is from Kraft.com. When I made it and brought it to school as left-overs, everyone (ok just Julie and Chandni) wanted the recipe!

2 cups multi-grain penne pasta, uncooked
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1-1/4 cups TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 large green pepper, cut into short thin strips
1 cup KRAFT Mexican Style 2% Milk Finely Shredded Four Cheese

Cook
pasta as directed on package. Heat large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 2 min. Stir in salsa, corn and peppers. Bring to boil. Simmer on medium-low heat 10 min. or until chicken is done, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta. Add to chicken mixture; mix lightly. Top with cheese. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 1 min. or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment