On Thursday we celebrated Reid's 25th birthday by having a cookout at the Phi Rho house. It was my first attempt at making ribs on the grill, and I am happy to report it was a great success :) Here's what I did:
Started out with a 6 lb slab of spare ribs. I trimmed excess fat, rubbed the ribs with a pre-made pork rub from Hy-Vee, and set them on my broiler pan. I covered them tightly with tin foil and baked at 275 for 3 hours. After removing from the oven, Reid brushed on some BBQ sauce and threw them on the grill for about 5 minutes (a couple minutes per side, just so they get a little charred). They were a huge hit!
The first time I ever made ribs was for Valentine's Day last year, and I have been searching for the recipe that I used ever since. Well, tonight when I started cleaning out my book shelf...look what I found!!
Home Style BBQ Ribs
3 lbs boneless pork ribs (I remember using bone-in, I swear...)
2 large tart apples (peeled & chopped)
1 large onion (halved and sliced - shhhh, don't tell Reid!)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice (I substituted a sweet smelling rib and chicken rub that I have, and I definitely did not measure it out! I think I rubbed it all over the meat, actually)
salt & pepper
1 cup BBQ sauce (I wrote here that I used a "sweet & spicy" variety)
Combine everything except BBQ sauce, cook in the crock-pot on low for 7-9 hours. Drain off excess juices. Add BBQ sauce, cook for additional 30 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment